Saturday, December 16, 2006

SET THEM FREE

Here is the experiment I spoke of before I left for Cleveland earlier this month. It's a collage on a stretched canvas. It did not turn out quite as nice as I'd hoped, but I think it's a good first try at doing this sort of thing.


















I used a card done by Anahata Joy Katkin that I'd been saving for quite some time to do something special with. I started out by painting the canvas with a background that coordinates with the colors in the card Then I sprayed it with Krylon top coat. While it was still wet with Krylon I sprinkled a tad of glitter across the surface. Then let it dry.

I scorched the edges of the card and affixed it with acrylic gel medium to the canvas. I painted the wooden stars to match up with the canvas and card and then used a gold leaf pen to edge them. I used rubber stamp letters for the stars. The heart is one I made from Sculpey PVC clay and painted to match the piece writing "Love" on it. I also used little mirrors from the craft store, a leather frame, a metal frame (turquoise), old broken jewelry (crosses) and an old button from my flea market stash, a few fake jewels, and metal cut out leaves. Every piece is attached with the acrylic gel medium and I found it to work quite well.

The blue button in the lower right corner is one I've had for many years. I got it when I worked at the Record Bar music store back in the 80's. It's a promotional button for Sting's "The Dream of The Blue Turtles" album; so it makes this piece a bit of a collectible.

1 comment:

unknown said...

:) that's pretty interesting... nice work!