Friday, October 12, 2007

FREE BIRD
This is my first project completed since I quit my job this week. It's a mixed media project on a 10x10 canvas. When my mom sees this, I'm sure she'll think that I painted a perfectly wonderful little bird and then made a mess of it. Sorry, Mom.



For this piece, I tore a hole in the middle of a sheet of tissue paper and carefully affixed it to the canvas with matte gel medium. Next, I drew the bird and then painted it in with acrylics. I decided that coordinating yellow from the tissue paper would look good for the background color in the middle of the canvas. After everything was dry, I put a little paper crown on the bird, then I went to bed.

Next morning, I set out to find some appropriate footwear for the bird. Originally I was thinking Converse high tops, but a browse through a Rolling Stone mag netted these kickin' black boots with fishnet stockings. By now my bird is lookin' real free, Baby. I'm totally diggin' the booted birdie.

I used bits of cut tissue all over for a little mosaic effect on the piece. Of course, the letters for the words are cut from a magazine, (Quality Progress). I used a sponge stamp with a multi-colored stamp pad to make the nifty swoosh up top, and some swirls cut from tissue paper are placed here and there. I found the cut-out flowers at Big Lots and embellished them with some touches of acrylic paint. My bird is free and hep.

1 comment:

Eugenia Wadsworth Martin said...

Digging it.
I love the boots.