Sunday, September 09, 2007

TOTIN' THE THUNDER
This is a mixed media piece. I got out my old linoleum block print I did in back during my high school art classes (circa 1977-1979). I had found it among some stuff when we moved and had vowed to find something creative to do with it in the 21st century. So here it is.



I used a notebook back. I got a package in the mail yesterday and it had some awesome, thick red packing paper in it; perfect for my background. I cut the red packing paper to fit my notebook back and then wadded it up for a crinkled affect. Then I looked through my supplies to find that the only color block printing ink I had was red, ok, fine, that'll do. I decided that it would look good to use the grocery bag tissue I used in the robot collages.

Next, I got out the brayer and inked up the old linoleum block. It's so old the back side of it's crumbling away. But, it's still got written on the back of it "Lisa Pooh - KB" that my art teacher, Mr. Gerald, wrote on the back of it - those were his nicknames for me. Anyway, the print turned out good after two tries. I used some gold leaf to put some accents on the print and to edge the piece, though the scan does not really show that since the piece took up the entire bed of my scanner.

I think that I thought of a catchy phrase to put on the piece. I chose it since according to Greek mythology, Pegasus carried thunderbolts for Zeus. I hope that people get it. My spouse did not. Oh well. I'm just real smart on my Greek mythology I guess. I typed up the text on the computer using a papyrus font and printed it on card stock paper, then cut it all out with some of those scissors they use for scrapbooking.

2 comments:

Eugenia Wadsworth Martin said...

Boy have you been busy, I like all of them but must say I kind of like the horse. Yes, Pegasus carried the thunderbolts and was the horse of the muses.

Lisa King said...

Yep, I think he was the horse of Eos, goddess of the morning as well. Yep, I've got a bunch of this stuff framed up now. Got to do some more for the coffeehouse show.