Sunday, September 09, 2007

MY HIGH SCHOOL ART TEACHER
Going through some old photos last weekend I found this one taken in 1977 of my high school art teacher. This man was my favorite teacher ever and he left an indelible mark on my life, influencing me as an artist and as a person. Not a day goes by that I do not think of this man, and appreciate all that he taught me during the three years that I was so fortunate to have him teach me.



I know this is a unique photo. But Mr. Gerald was a unique man. I loved going to his class and he endeared himself to me greatly. I will never forget him. In this photo, I'd caught him dozing one day in class while we were busy working on our art projects. Being the mischievous one that I am, I slipped outside and picked some little roses off a bush near the principal's house where the art classes were held during that first year we were so fortunate to have Mr. Gerald teach us. I stuck them all throughout his hair and snapped the photo.

Mr. Gerald passed away several years ago. I am not sure what year. I'm so thankful that we had him for our art teacher.

No comments: