Sunday, January 24, 2010

MADONNA CONFIDENTIAL
I got back to some traditional art this weekend. Being back in school on the fine art side of the campus has brought me back to that soulful place. I have especially enjoyed my clay class, the feel of the cool clay in my hands and the way that I feel when I'm putting a design into it when it's dried a bit, is just something so down to earth that it's hard to put into words how it feels. But I can tell you this much, it feels wonderful.

I decided to do something with a 1996 calendar I had been saving with these wonderful old Madonna paintings for each month. So I did this collage on a piece of black mat board. It's an odd size; 17 3/4 by 11 3/4. I used newspaper and gesso for the background, then made transparencies and tape transfers for added interest. The vines are stamped with gold ink and the mountain bluebird was cut from a magazine. I used a piece of plastic grid to make the gold texture by covering it with gold gesso and pressing it onto the surface.

No comments: