Monday, June 08, 2009

SAGITTARIUS ON GUARD
Ok, this was a real pain in the rear to do. It was my first time to do a gel transfer, so I did not know exactly what to expect or do. But NOW I do. Anyway, I finally finished this after working on it most of the day. I started making the transfer last night from a copy of the archer. I used a hair dryer to speed up the process, but I figured out that I only needed to use thin layers of gel medium (note to self).

I prepped my 8 X 10 board canvas, (which had once been a color wheel project for Design II class) with torn red tissue paper, which gave it a lot of texture. Then I put my constellation map on top of that. Next came layers of star tissue paper and handmade paper and waxed paper. Then I put the gel transfer on top. Then came more torn handmade paper, star tissue, and onion skin. I used acrylic paint to highlight areas on the archer that were not prominent enough to suit me and to make his face and hair more to my liking, because I wanted him to have long hair, which he did not, so I gave him some.

Finally, I added some vibrant mica watercolors and stamps, star jewels, an old earring, and some old gold tinsel to finish him off. I thought this was going to be a total disaster and fully expected to throw it in the trash. However, I stuck it out and I think I'm satisfied with Mr. Sag.

1 comment:

Eugenia Wadsworth Martin said...

You are putting me to shame, I have been in a funk and can't get moving. I had hoped once the kittens were gone I would get back in my routine but it hasn't happned yet. Where has my Muse gone????
Lov the Sag series.