Saturday, May 03, 2008

HOME-MADE BOOK PROJECT

I had to do a project for my graphic computers class. Part of it was simply to prove that I know how to use the software. That was easy enough. I chose to create a book using poems I've written about my life in the South. The file is done and ready to turn in as a PDF. I was also instucted to do whatever I wanted creatively with it as far as the physical production of the book.

At first I thought I'd just send it to Kinko's. Then, I was in my drawing teacher's office and noticed that she has this little collection of home-made books in a display case...I was hooked. I knew when I saw them I'd have to create my own. This is something I’ve never tried before.

On short notice I was limited on what I could do because of supplies. I had to use things I already had on hand as there was no time to go on a supply excursion. My drawing teacher loaned me a book to help out, but supplies listed in it are hard to come by on short notice (bee's wax, horse hoof musilage...???). It did give me some ideas about binding though, which is what I was mostly after, and I was able to do a variation from the book with the materials I had on hand.

Front View with Bookmark


I used mat board, red craft paper and the backs of old notebooks to construct the front and back covers. The front cover comes from a collage I did some time back and I used a jpg that I desaturated in photoshop to make the black and white effect. I also used it as a backdrop for old family photos that I scanned and used in the book as well. I used gel medium to fasten some metal moons and a cupid and star to the front to add some interest. The binding is an organza ribbon run through three holes I punched with an awl. The finishing touch is a twig from the back yard.

Inside Cover


Overall, I think the craftmanship could be better next time, but for the limited time and materials I think it turned out nice, and it was not terrilbly torturous work! The hard part was deciding on the binding and figuring out a proper variation for what I had on hand to work with, then executing it without screwing it up.

Back View


Accompanying Bookmark

No comments: