Sunday, March 30, 2008

SKULL STILL LIFE WITH APPLE, WATER PITCHER & RED BOTTLE
Yes, I've once again painted that old protector of the brains that I appreciate so very much. This time in a still life with a water pitcher I picked up at a local second-hand store, a Macintosh apple, and a red bottle which may start to look familiar in days to come as I've painted it in one of my earlier paintings and I like it very much.



This piece is done in oil on a 16 X 20 stretched canvas and it's one I've been working on in my spare time at home on my own. It's the first one that I tried a final glaze on, which is something that some old dude at the art supply store told me about that he likes to do on his paintings. I knew nothing of this technique other than I'd heard the term thrown around here and there. I thought what the heck, I'm mostly experimenting anyway. So I tried it out using the method as explained to me by the old dude at Art Supply Headquarters, who, I don't know his name, but he's always super nice to me and nice to chat with. I liked the effect I got with it as it seemed to unify the piece. I used a little yellow ochre with a lot of linseed oil, and after speaking with my art teacher about it, she says you should always use a transparent color, which yellow ochre is not. Lucky for me I used a very thin wash and I don't think it was enough to mess anything up.

No comments: